Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Good Old Hockey Game, It's The Best Game You Can Name

I have decided to use my blog to better the world. By that I DO mean that I will help others fall in love with hockey. This is attempt 1. I know this is going to be a hard fought battle, especially considering most of the people who read this are from TX where football is king (don't get me wrong, I LOVE football too) but I like a challenge.

I'm going to pretend whoever is reading this knows nothing about hockey, so bare with me. In hockey there's this thing called a hat trick. It is when a player scores three goals in one game. Tradition has it, that when a player performs said hat trick, the crowd will throw their hats on the ice in honor of the accomplishment. Hat tricks are pretty rare, but playoff hat tricks are practially unheard of. Especially in a conference final game.

Here is a video of my favorite hat trick this last year. The Pittsburgh Penguins (eventually 2009 Stanley Cup Champs) were playing the Carolina Hurricanes in the Eastern Conference Finals. Evgeni Malkin (who I believe is only 19) scored three amazing goals to lead his team to an eventual win. What I want everyone to pay close attention to is the last goal he scores without even looking at the net. It's sick. If you can't appreciate that then you are just crazy.



Yep, it's that good. I will find more to help you fall in love with this game that has captured my heart. Maybe eventually I will even have another person in my life who can tear up with excitement about an impending season. A girl can dream right?

Two weeks and 3 days....but who's counting?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glorious! Thanks Jakus. I'm totally on board!

Oh and be careful of the way you spell "bear"...it could be taken any number of ways. Ha!

Carrie Leigh said...

I think that bear is the animal, I thought I used the correct spelling...no?

PS - Thanks for the support bro.

Unknown said...

Bear with me a moment while I explain. The verb "to bear" has many meanings: 1. To carry, bring or take; 2. To show eg to bear the marks of suffering/success etc; 3. To produce (fruit or offspring) 4. To sustain, eg to bear the cost or weight of something, or to put up with it; 5a. To carry in thought eg "I'll bear that in mind"; 5b To carry arms ie weapons.
The noun bear is of course the animal
The verb "To bare" means to reveal eg "he bared his soul/ body" etc
The adjective "bare" means uncovered or plain: "these are the bare facts"

"I bear here in my hands that which I made with my bare hands"

Make sense? I stole that from someone else by the way! Ha!

Jennifer said...

I love your blog! We enjoy the hockey at my house. Don't get me wrong, we aren't huge fans, we can't name players on the local team even, but we enjoy watching the sport despite the fact we don't understand it. I look forward to learning more from your posts on this cool - pun intended - subject.