Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Movin' On Up

So, a big life change is happening for me. This past week I accepted a position at my school teaching third grade! Eeek! Here's a little on how this came about.

Last year, for those of you who don't know, I was moved in the middle of the school year (away from my kinder babies) to a different school to teach first grade. While I was upset about the whole ordeal, it ended up showing me that I really enjoy teaching older students. I mentioned to my principal that I would like to be considered for a higher grade level next year if possible. Last week, she called me in and offered me a position in third grade. Totally unexpected!

For the non-teachers, third grade is where state mandated testing begins (TAKS). Third grade is also a promotion grade for this test (don't pass, don't go to fourth). This can be a lot of pressure and it is something that has intimidated me away from those grade levels (third & fourth) a little. Honestly, I never envisioned myself teaching a grade higher than second. However, after LOTS of thinking and talking to friends who teach in "TAKS" grades, I decided to go ahead and take the job! It is something I am confidant is the right decision for me at this time. I am SUPER excited about trying something new. I am looking forward to seeing if it is the right fit for me. I am pumped about getting to work with a really great team. And, I think it should be a great learning experience that will help me to become a better teacher.

Obviously there are things I am going to miss about Kindergarten. I have enjoyed my last three years SO much. I have had the pleasure of working with some great teachers and the joy of teaching some amazing kids. I simply felt like it was time for me to see if Kindergarten is where I belong, or if it's somewhere else. Won't know until I try it!

So there's the big update. If you have any tips for teaching older kiddos please pass them along, I'm sure I will be needing the help! :)

PS - Next blog I am hoping to post about the things I have loved about my class this year (probably boring to everyone else but a good way to remember for me).

No comments: