Friday, November 7, 2008

Run, Drive, Sleep? Repeat.

A few weeks ago I was able to take part in something that I would consider a once in a lifetime experience.  In fact, it's part of the reason I started this blog.  I just HAD to share this weekend in my life with others.  I am talking about a race that I took part in called the Ragnar Relay. Back sometime in June I was asked by my life stage pastor at church if I was interested in running in a relay race that his brother was setting up.  The way this race works is that a team of 12 people run from San Antonio to Austin.  Each runner takes on three different legs that differ in mileage depending on what number runner you are.  I agreed without really thinking about it (I had just been "rejected" -also known as not getting in on the lottery system- from my dream of the NYC marathon so I figured I needed something to keep my running on track) and went on my merry way.

Then came the first team meeting.  This is where I found out that I would be running in a race that was 24 hours straight.  That's right, through the night, no sleep.  What the heck?  I can't live without my sleep.  Also, there were hills.  I love me a good run, don't get me wrong.  But I don't do hills, I'm kind of a baby like that.  So I begin to panic a little, but I can't be that girl who backs out at this point, so I suck it up, continue with my training, and wonder if I will actually ever be able to survive this thing.

Flash forward to race weekend.  We began in San Antonio at 11am.  I was runner #2 so I was able to do my first run (6.8 miles) shortly after this.  I wish that I could say all my training and the adrenaline that comes from running a race made this run super easy.  Instead, I have to confess that it was harder than the half marathon I ran last year, harder in fact than any run I can remember since I have become a "runner".  The hills and the heat KILLED me.  However, being the girl who didn't want to let the team down, I refused to let myself walk.  As I continued on my difficult run I began to notice the neatest thing.  Something that is a rare thing to see these days.  Humanity at its best.  Sadly, not often do we get to see kindness and encouragement from total strangers, but this race showed me just that.  The way the whole thing works is that you have 6 runners in a van.  While 1 of the runners is running the rest of the runners ride along, stopping every mile or so to give water to their runner, provide encouragement etc.  As selfish as we all are, you would think that people would encourage their runner and go on.  Not so.  I found that every single van of runners that passed me on the road would honk and cheer.  Those standing on the roadside waiting for their runners were equally enthusiastic.  It was this kindness and goodness that kept me going.  Kept me going so much that I was able to set a personal record during each of my runs!  God is so good in the way that He provides us that encouragement just when we need it.

In the end, we all did really well.  My next two runs (5.1 miles and 4.7 miles) went better than the first and I was able to pick up my pace with each run.  Totally God, not me, I promise!  Our team did SO well that we ended up finishing in a little over 25 hours, crossing the finish line in Austin around 12:30 on Saturday.  We finished 7th out of 38 teams (and I have to say that 5 of the teams in front of us were mens teams, where as we were a mens/womens mixed team). Praise the Lord for giving each of us the ability to run and for keeping us all healthy (minus a bunch of blisters, one dead toenail -mine- and one possibly broken leg -not mine-) and in high sprits.  I know that I must be crazy when I say that I would love to do this race again, but I would in a heartbeat.  We'll just have to see what next year holds!

2 comments:

Ashley N said...

Why did I have to just "stumble upon" your blog? Its not like we live together or anything.

His_Servant said...

I'm with Ashley, not telling us about the blog is a little sketchy. But you are a gifted writer. And I love hearing about your experiences.